Munster – A Brief History
The area of Munster was originally settled in the early 1800s by Irish and Scottish immigrants and veterans of the War of 1812 as a farming community. At the time, the ‘hub’ of the village consisted of a general store, an Anglican Church and a Methodist Church. At some point a post office was also added to the area.
Among the early settlers was Thomas Tubman. When residents proposed naming the village Tubman’s Corners, Mr. Tubman declined and suggested it be name after one of the four ancient kingdoms of Ireland, and Ireland’s largest province to reflect the heritage of its settlers, thus the name Munster.
In the 1970s a subdivision – what we now know as Munster – was developed.
Of the original buildings, the Methodist Church became Munster United Church and St. Stephen’s Anglican Church became the community library.